Monday, March 7, 2011

compassion. or what I had for lunch

"If your compassion does not include yourself, it is incomplete."
The Buddha

30 day vegan is an opportunity for me to do some things differently. The spring inside me, that is not yet here is asking me to make some changes. And though the beautiful recipes that Heather has provided for us this far in the workshop do not differ greatly from the general normal menu around here, there is an important difference. The difference is the focus.  I am focus. 
Such focus requires attention and time and work. Yesterday I devoted those to cooking. I know myself well enough to know that if I didn't have a bunch of food prepared already, I would get down on myself and overwhelmed, which would defeat this whole shifting to taking care of my "whole" self purpose.
What you see above is a quinoa chili. I tweaked the recipe a bit by using red quinoa and adding a jalapeno pepper at the start and also some white beans. I also put mine over a bed of long grain basmati brown rice. I made a whopping 3 cups (before water added).  I think it will last me all week. 
These are my roasted root veggies from the farm: parsnip, rhuetabega, carrots and as we like to call them "sweet badadedas".
So this beautiful lunch was waiting for me when we got home from the Y's Quigong class and now sitting in front of me is an empty bowl. I'm full of its goodness. Cheers to all who are joining me in a quest to take good care of themselves.  Be gentle, have compassion.

No comments:

Post a Comment